Stages

I look at my life and realize that I am in a different stage of life now that many of my friends do not understand. When I got married I was in a different stage and to some degree my friendships changed because now I was the married guy who didn't get invited to do things as much because I probably didn't want to go or couldn't go. Now I am a father and a husband who is in a different stage and to some degree my friendships are changing again. I feel left out, uninvited, the guy with the kid that "probably can't come." Because all of this gets to the core of my insecurity, I feel hurt; and like I have always done when I get hurt, I withdraw. I withdraw from EVERYONE, my wife, my son, friends, coworkers, family. I go into hiding from those relationships that I crave to engage with. It seems ironic that the very relationships that I miss and want to be around I withdraw from, but at those moments, for some reason, I don't feel safe. Now I know these men care for me deeply, but for some reason I choose to believe that they don't need me anymore. Even if that were true, which I don't for a second believe, I still need them!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean bro. It's crazy when different stages in your life effect every aspect of it and peoples perception of you. I have been going through the same thing and have withdrawn myself from everyone. I feel left out many times especially right now. But I just keep telling myself that the Lord has a reason for it. I am content with being alone while everyone else goes on without me. Love you bro and always cherish the people that truly care for you and don't dwell on the people that don't.

May 25, 2009 at 11:27 AM